Incoming Volunteer Information & Waiting List Application
Thank you so much for wanting to dedicate your time and service to our shelter pets in need. We cannot accomplish what we do without the help of volunteers like you. At this time, our volunteer needs have been fulfilled. We will begin accepting new volunteer applications from January 2, 2023 until January 13, 2023.
Before completing the waiting list form, here is some important information to know about our program:
- We do not accept volunteers seeking to complete court-ordered or lawyer-recommended community service.
- Children under 7 are not allowed to volunteer. Children between 7 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the entirety of their volunteer shift. Hours for these children will be logged under their parent or guardian’s account. At 14, volunteers can work independently with cats and at 16, volunteers are able to work independently with dogs and in the Susan M. Markel Veterinary Hospital. Volunteers 14 and older will need to create their own account. Parents must sign a waiver for all children under the age of 18.
- Due to overwhelming community response, we are only onboarding volunteers with weekday and/or weekend availability between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- All of our animal handling shifts are hosted between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- To stay active, volunteers must commit to 4 hours of service each month for a period of four months. After the 4-month period, you must perform at least 1 shift every 3 months. Failure to meet these requirements will result in account deactivation, and to resume volunteering you would need to restart the application process.
- The onboarding process can take up to 4 weeks to complete. Once the application is submitted, it must be reviewed and a virtual meet and greet must be completed before applicants are accepted into the program. Accepted volunteers will complete a virtual orientation. After orientation, volunteers will come in to get familiar with the cat and dog housing areas prior to taking their online cat and dog handling class. Once the cat handling class is completed, volunteers will be able to sign up for cat-related shifts. Once the dog handling class is completed, volunteers will come on site for a dog handling walkthrough before they can sign up for dog-related shifts. There are several shifts available that do not require cat handling and dog handling classes. These shifts include laundry, dishes, dog enrichment prep, and opportunities at either the Susan M. Markel Veterinary Hospital or Smoky’s Spay & Neuter Clinic. Volunteers must attend an on site Hospital Training Prep shift prior to working in the hospital.
Dog Walking, weekday mornings from 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. and daily from 3 to 4 p.m.
Dog Kennel Assistant, daily from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Dog Enrichment Prep, Mondays and Fridays from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Dog Enrichment, 2 hour shift hosted daily between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Cat Care, daily from 9 to 11 a.m.
Cat Rehab B Cleaning, daily from 9 to 11 a.m.
Lobby Habitat Assistant, daily from 9 to 11 a.m. and weekend evenings from 4 to 5 p.m.
Cat Enrichment, 1 hour shift hosted daily between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Essential Non-Animal Handling Tasks Opportunities
Laundry, daily between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Dishes, daily from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 4 to 5 p.m.
Community Events Opportunities
Info Tables, throughout the year at various dates, times, and locations
Signature Events (Fur Ball + Dog Jog and 5k Run)
General Hospital Volunteer, Mondays and Fridays from 4 to 6 p.m.
Hospital Lobby Cleaning, Mondays and Fridays from 12 to 1 p.m.
Hospital Surgical Suite Volunteer, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 3 p.m.
Hospital Kennel Cleaning, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 3 p.m.
Blue Team: Provides enrichment and training to the cats in our care
Green Team: Provides enrichment and training to the dogs in our care
Running Buddies: Provides dogs with extra exercise by taking them on runs
Kitten Krew: Assists with daily care and cleaning in our kitten wards during kitten season
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.