Adopt a Companion
In response to COVID-19 and in order to reduce visitor traffic, observe necessary social distancing and to best protect the health and wellbeing of our staff and members of the public, we have transitioned to adoptions by appointment only. Please review our adoption appointment process.
You’ll find pets of all types and personalities awaiting adoption at our humane center. Choosing to adopt from the Richmond SPCA offers wonderful benefits to you and to your next best friend:
- Save lives. The Richmond SPCA is a no-kill humane society, and each adoption makes room in our shelter to bring another animal who needs us into our care.
- Expert matchmaking assistance. Our knowledgeable and caring adoption counselors will help you meet the cat, dog, kitten or puppy who will be a good fit for your home and lifestyle.
- Lifetime support. Through our free behavior helpline, together we’ll tackle any behavior issues that arise after you take your new pet home.
- Professional veterinary care. While in our care, each pet receives a thorough examination by our shelter veterinary team, age-appropriate vaccinations, a microchip, treatment for any known health conditions and a spay or neuter procedure. Post-adoption medical care is available at low-cost from our full-service Susan M. Markel Veterinary Hospital.
Adoption fees vary based on the age of the animal and special promotions offered throughout the year.
Standard adoption fees:
- Adult cats: $95 (ages 6 months and older)
- Kittens: $150 (younger than 6 months)
- Adult dogs: $125 (ages 6 months and older)
- Puppies: $175 (younger than 6 months)
If you are interested in opening your heart and home to a pet in our care, please email our adoption staff at email@example.com or leave a message at 804-521-1307 to be placed in the queue for a call from an adoption counselor. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, much of the adoption counseling is being conducted over the phone prior to scheduling a time for you to visit our humane center to spend time with the dog or cat you are considering adopting. Thank you for your patience during these trying times, and thank you for your love of animals.
Before your appointment, please fill out an adopter survey. This one-page survey gathers information about your expectations of having a pet and helps your adoption counselor suggest pets who might best suit your lifestyle.
When you come to our adoption center, please bring with you:
- Face covering (mask, scarf, or bandana) for each visiting member of the household over the age of 3 years
- Government-issued photo identification
- Proof of address
- Payment for your pet’s adoption fee (cash, credit/debit cards, money order or Richmond SPCA gift card are accepted; checks are not accepted)
Adopted cats must have an appropriate carrier for the ride home, and adopted dogs must have a leash and collar. These and other supplies for your new pet may be purchased in our Lora Robins Gift Shop.
- Petflix Adoption Special
Adoption fees for qualifying pets are discounted 50%. These pets have been in the care of the Richmond SPCA for more than 60 days, so we know all their precious quirks especially well and will share all we know to help you decide on the perfect match.
- Carol Young Godin Seniors for Seniors Adoption Program
Adopters age 60 or older who adopt a cat or dog age 5 years or older are eligible for a $50 adoption fee and welcome home kit.
- Pets for Patriots
The Richmond SPCA is a proud member of the Pets for Patriots nationwide network of trusted adoption partners. Veterans and active-duty service members receive special adoption discounts and benefits.
- First Responder and Military Discount
Provide identification as a first responder (law enforcement, firefighter, EMT or 911 dispatcher), member of the military or veteran at the time of adoption for a 20% discount on your adoption fee.
- FIV/Feline Leukemia Discount
Adoptions fees for cats and kittens diagnosed with FIV or feline leukemia are discounted 50%.
- View our web calendar for more adoption specials throughout the year.
Adoption specials may not be combined.