Incoming Volunteer Information & Waiting List Form
Thank you so much for wanting to dedicate your time and service to the pets in our care. Volunteers like you are essential to all that we do!
We are now accepting applications from volunteers with weekday availability from May 1 through May 5. To access our volunteer application, please email our volunteer management team at firstname.lastname@example.org with your availability.
Important things to know about our program before completing the waiting list form:
- We do not accept volunteers completing court-ordered or lawyer-recommended community service.
- Our minimum age for volunteers is 7. Children between 7 and 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the entirety of their volunteer shifts.
- Hours for children 7 to 13 years old will be logged under a parent or guardian’s account.
- Volunteers 14 and older will need to create their own accounts.
- At age 14, volunteers may work independently with cats.
- At age 16, volunteers may work independently with dogs and in the Susan M. Markel Veterinary Hospital.
- Parents must sign a waiver for any volunteer under the age of 18.
- Due to overwhelming community response, we will only onboard volunteers who have weekday availability during the summer between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- All animal handling shifts occur between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- To stay active, volunteers must commit to four hours of service each month for a period of four months. After the four-month period, you must perform at least one shift every three months. Volunteers who fail to meet these requirements will become inactive and will need to restart the application process to resume volunteering.
- The onboarding process can take up to 4 weeks to complete.
Steps for onboarding:
- Submit application
- Volunteer management team reviews application
- Virtual meet and greet held with prospective volunteer
- Accepted volunteers complete virtual orientation
- Tour humane center for familiarization with relevant cat- and dog-housing areas
- Eligible for shifts that do not require pet-handling classes
- Complete online cat-handling class for eligibility for related shifts
- Complete online dog-handling class followed by in-person dog-handling walkthrough
Dog Walking, weekday mornings from 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. and daily from 3 to 4 p.m.
Dog Kennel Assistant, daily from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Dog Enrichment Prep, Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. – Noon.
Dog Enrichment, 2 hour shift hosted daily between the hours of 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Cat Care, daily from 9 to 11 a.m.
Cat Rehab B Cleaning, daily from 9 to 11 a.m.
Lobby Habitat Assistant, Friday through Monday from 9 to 11 a.m. and weekend evenings from 4 to 5 p.m.
Cat Enrichment, 1 hour shift hosted daily between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Essential Non-Animal Handling Tasks Opportunities
Laundry, daily between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Dishes, daily from Noon to 1 p.m. and 4 to 5 p.m.
Community Events Opportunities
Info Tables, throughout the year at various dates, times, and locations
Signature Events (Fur Ball + Dog Jog and 5k Run)
Blue Team: Provides enrichment and training to the cats in our care
Green Team: Provides enrichment and training to the dogs in our care
Running Buddies: Provides dogs with extra exercise by taking them on runs
Kitten Krew: Assists with daily care and cleaning in our kitten wards during kitten season
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.