Please review our Covid-19 training class policies before attending your first class.
March 2 – April 20, 2024
No class March 23
Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
Instructor: Julie W.
Dogs attend all 7 classes. Street Manners is an intermediate-level course with a focus on developing the skills dogs need to take on the world — especially during outdoor walks! There will be a heavy emphasis on overcoming leash pulling and dealing with distractions. We will cover the following:
- Getting and maintaining your dog’s attention in increasingly distracting environments
- Equipment and effective leash handling
- Teaching your dog to walk without pulling using a variety of exercises
- Using what the dog wants in the environment to reward good behavior
- Walking past and leaving distracting items on the ground
- Generalizing basic manners for real-world environments
- Focusing on distance, duration, and difficulty of distractions
- Teaching your dog that distractions don’t pay, even the dreaded squirrel!
Prerequisites: Canine Manners, Surviving Adolescence, or an equivalent basic manners class. Dogs should have been introduced to the following before attending this class: attention, sit, down, stay, and leave it.
This class does not address reactivity (dogs who frantically bark and lunge at other dogs, people or objects such as bicycles and trucks). These behaviors can be addressed in our Managing a Reactive Dog class; which is specifically designed to better manage reactivity.
7 session, 1 hour class in Smoky’s Training Center, Richmond, VA. $150.