Richmond SPCA to celebrate 20 years no-kill with block party
The Richmond SPCA is throwing it back to 2002 with a block party to celebrate the 20th anniversary of becoming a no-kill humane society. The retro-themed fundraiser, presented by Moore Subaru, will take place on Saturday, June 4 from 1 to 6 p.m. at the Robins-Starr Humane Center on Hermitage Road.
This fun celebration with a nostalgic vibe will take partygoers of all ages on a journey two decades in the making.
“Twenty years ago, we became a no-kill organization,” said Richmond SPCA CEO Tamsen Kingry. “It was a bold pledge, one that required changing how we operated and empowering Richmonders to invest in lifesaving alternatives to create and sustain a more humane community. Now we can look back at all the progress we have made together, and we invite everyone to come to the Richmond SPCA and celebrate with us on June 4.”
Programs put in place over the last 20 years have reduced the number of animals becoming homeless in our city by 21%, and when dogs or cats do enter a shelter – whether public or private – 90% fewer lose their lives.
Proceeds from this event will benefit approximately 4,000 homeless animals who will be sheltered at the Richmond SPCA this year as well as the lifesaving programs and services the nonprofit provides for pets and people, including low-cost veterinary care at the Susan M. Markel Veterinary Hospital. The event’s fundraising goal is $40,000.
Admission is $8 in advance and $10 at the gate, with ticketing sponsored by Spider Management. Kids under 12 are free to attend.
The block party will include:
- Food, beer and wine trucks including River City Wood Fire and Funnel Cake Recess
- Live music from cover bands Sold Separately, P2, and Paulo Franco and the Freightliners, playing songs from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s
- “Not the Mall” pet-friendly Marketplace, sponsored by ColonialWebb
- Little Wags Fun Zone for kids with face painting, arts and crafts, games and a kids’ learning area
- Pooch Party Zone sponsored by Holiday Barn Pet Resorts featuring an agility “Try It” expo with Richmond SPCA training specialists, pools for pups to cool off and a bandana stamping station from VisArts
- Other fun activities such as a pet photobooth, lawn games and more
Visit richmondspca.org/blockparty for more information and to purchase tickets.
Please direct media inquiries to our communications department.